1. Rural Engineering Cell of the Institute, a unique of its kind, conducts training programmes for the engineers attached to the Zilla Parishads, Blocks (PS) and Gram Panchayats. Normally training Programmes are run in three levels- one basic and other two are at advanced level. Apart from the training programmes stated above, this cell takes responsibility for conducting training for the programme of PMGSY. Executive Engineers, Assistant Engineers and Sub Assistant Engineers related with the PMGSY are provided with this training.
2. Rural Engineering Cell is at present is led by the Superintending Engineer of the Institute. He is assisted by two Assistant Engineers and three Sub Assistant Engineers. Rural Engineering Cell also takes care of original works and maintenance work of the Institutes in respect of different projects assigned to the Institute.
3. Training Module: Training modules for the courses of Basic as well as Advanced training for the engineers attached to the Panchayat Bodies and blocks have been drawn up on the basis of the needs of the engineers in their function at those levels.
In case of PMGSY, the training module has been developed in line with the consultations held the officials of the P&RD Department which is the nodal department for implementing the programme of PMGSY in the state.
4. In drawing up the training modules the following points are given importance:
5. Thrust areas in the content of the training modules:
i) Innovation in the techniques of construction taking place in different places;
ii) Management of human relations, Accounts, safety issues in construction and Skill in
6. Methods of Imparting Training: The training is imparted through Lecture, Group discussion etc methods. Participants are exposed to real life situations through field visits. Audio visual equipments, computers are used in the process of training. Use of equipments at the laboratory is mastered by the students.
i) Construction of Building, culverts, major and minor bridges and retaining walls;
ii) Construction of drainage schemes, major and minor irrigation schemes;
iii) Construction of earthen embankments Flood control schemes, water harvesting
Structures, Construction of protective measures;
iv) Construction and design of rural roads (including those under PMGSY);
v) Rural water supply;
vi) Construction of low cost housing.
7. Linkage with other Institutions: We have a very strong network with different Technical institutions like IIT, Kharagpur, BE and Science University, Shibpur, NIT at Durgapur, Kalyani Engineering College.
Contact Person : Shri Samir Kumar Nath, Superintending Engineer